Wednesday, April 13, 2011

is american airlines companion certificate worth it

Citi AAdvantage credit card offer free Companion Certificate for first-time
Citibank credit cardmembers who apply for an account of Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature card.

american airlines companion certificate does not ever worth it,I tried it once and the catch is to buy the ticket at "normal prices" from "specific vendors" only. The price of the ticket on cheaptickets.com and travelocity kind of sites was less than $250 + taxes per ticket whereas the price of the "specific vendor" was more than $700 per ticket. Absolutely useless promo ... unless your company is paying for your ticket and you get to take along a companion free of cost.

Companion certificate expires 12 months after the issue date. Passenger is responsible for taxes, fees and charges in association with use of companion certificate. Your companion offer will arrive in the form of a certificate 8–10 weeks after payment of annual fee that is billed at the end of first year and assignment of a discount code for use on AA.com; details, certain restrictions, conditions and restricted dates apply and will be disclosed in this mailing. Your discount code must be redeemed on www.aa.com in conjuntion with domestic travel purchased on your Citi® / AAdvantage® card. Travel must be booked in H V M L K or W inventory with a minimum fare of $299 per passenger. The companion offer will be fulfilled as a 50% discount off each passenger's travel.

6 comments:

  1. The problem is that aa.com always gives you the lowest available fare, which is usually S. I haven't found a way to get an HVMLKorW fare on aa.com, so this seems to be a Catch 22. You can only book via aa.com and aa.com never offers the fares needed for booking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This companion certificate is worthless. I was trying to use it to fly from DFW to LGA at the end of the month and they told me that I had to buy a fare over $900 in order to use it even though the lowest fare direct was $330 with taxes inclusive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very much a ripoff. Who can we report this to? I had two tickets from DFW to Ric reserved online that I wanted to book and pay for using my companion certificate. The total for BOTH tickets equaled $720 but since I had a free companion ticket, i thought I would pay half that price. WRONG! AA told me that my ticket would be 900$ to go to RIC and my companion was an extra $14.00 to cover taxes. Big SHAM. I'm going to discontinue this card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been infuriated with the tactic AA is using to lure people into applying for their credit card. The companion certificate is absolutely useless! The quotes, if I were to use the certificate, for LAX to NYC: $669, LAX to LAS: $394, LAX to PHOE $354. I looked online and the normal fair for each of those destinations was much less, without using any gd certificate! I too would like to know who I can report this to. This should be an illegal practice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw Victoria's post above.
    Well, 1 year later, it is the same unfortunate story for me: DFW to LGA, over $900. Ticket online is $401.
    What a scam.

    ReplyDelete